St Gabriel's School & Parish
> see other places
St Gabriel's Catholic School and Parish in Reservoir Victoria have played a large part of the lives of many of the Wood Family, including primary education at the school, and weddings and other significant events being held in the church. George and Hilda Wood lived just down the road at 64 Pine St, Reservoir.
In 1925, Preston's wooden Sacred Heart Church was moved to Viola Street in Reservoir, with the church being transported down high street. On February 26, 1926, Archbishop Mannix blessed the relocated church and named it St. Gabriel’s. Over time this church became too small for this expanding area, and in 1960 a new and substantial brick church was built on the corner of Spring and Viola Streets.
In 1927 a meeting of parishioners was organised with the intention of seeking permission from the Parish Priest, Fr James O'Grady to start a school. In 1928 Mrs Beattie, the first principal, was granted permission to commence classes in the church. In 1930 The Good Samaritan Sisters moved into the parish and took charge of the school, teaching classes inside the church. An old cable tram was placed in the yard and served as a shelter shed and sometimes a classroom. Working Bees were organised to dig the foundations of a proper school. The Most Reverend Daniel Mannix, Archbishop of Melbourne, laid the foundation stone on November 16th, 1930. By 1931 two brick classrooms had been built by voluntary labour. The tram was removed and the wooden church was no longer used for classrooms.
Eddie Wood was one of the first students at St. Gabriel's School, and all his brothers and sisters also attended the school during the early days of this school.
- 'God is Strength' - the history of St. Gabriel’s Parish by by Jim Carroll
- St Grabiel's School website
- St Gabriel's Parish website